Now with the advancement of science and technology, electronic products have become increasingly popular, causing that many commuters have to use computers and mobile phones to work with and hence they have developed a habit of sitting for a long time. However, they don’t even know what they have done has already had a negative effect on both their physical and mental health.
The Negative Effects on Everyone’s Health
a. If you sit for too long, extra fat will be amassed around your waist, then you will become heavier. If you are too heavy, you will be more inclined to be attacked by some serious illnesses, such as hypertension, diabetes, heart diseases etc.
b.Sitting for a long time will do harm to your cervical vertebra. Serious vertebra pain will cause dizziness, headache, numbness in limbs and even sciatica.
c.Sitting for a long time will make you more likely to suffer from lumbar muscle strain and protrusion of the intervertebral disc.
d.Sitting for a long time will make the blood stasis in your lower limbs and slower blood flow, thus blood cots will be more likely to form, which may endanger your life if it is serious.
e. When you are sitting down, muscles burn less fat, and meanwhile blood flows slowlier, which may result in heart block. Thus, people who always sit for a long time are more susceptible to cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases than those who seldom sit for such a long time.
f.Hip joints, which contribute to sense of balance, are flexible. However, people who sit for a long time seldom stretch their hip flexors, hence, their muscles have become more and more short and inflexible, which may limit their activity range and stride distance. A research found that reducing hip mobility is the main reason why the old are more likely to fall down.
g.Sitting for too long can also contribute to stress, so people can be listless, languish and yawn after yawn.
h. Sitting for a long time will slow down your blood circulation, leading to insufficient blood supply to the brain, which may affect our nerves and place more burdens to us. The main symptoms are as follows:fatigue and anorexia. If you stand up at once, you will even feel dizzy.
i.Sitting for a long time can also result in significantly poor digestion and absorption. People are more likely to get sick, vomit, ventosity and obstruction in the digestive tract.
j.A research shows that people who spend more than 7 hours watching TV have over 61% of the death rates than those who watch TV less than 1 hour.
k.Another research shows that healthy runners are less vulnerable to arthritis than those who spend much time just sitting alone.
The negative effects on men commuters’ health
Sitting for such a long time is bad for everyone’s health, especially for men. If a man always sits for a long time, he will :
- have got hemorrhoids because of perianal venous return disorder.
- have got varicocele because of scrotal vein hyperemia.
- be more likely to have prostate pain, which may lead to prostatitis and worse still, poor or frequent urination.
- Det ED because of the protrusion of the intervertebral disc.
- Have poorer sperm activity because the testicle is locally overheated.
The negative effects on women commuters’ health
- People are more likely to get heavier if they have less exercise, which is undoubtedly the kiss of death to those girls who regard their figures as important as their life.
- Because vulva stays in a wet and sultry condition, which can provide germs a more suitable environment to grow up. What’s worse, woman has a shorter urethra than man, thus, woman is more vulnerable to urinary tract infection.
- Sitting for too long will reduce the estrogen levels in body, which will make the endometrial hyperplasia and swelling. Dysmenorrhea will exasperate when progesterone stimulates local tissues.
- Sitting for too long will lead to pelvic congestion, which may impede cervical blood circulation and lead to pelvic inflammation.
- Sitting for too long will also lead to ovarian hypoxia. According to a survey, a large number of women who are suffered from infertility attribute to ovarian hypoxia because of sitting for a long time.
So What Should We Do?
- Experts suggest that commuters should exercise at least 30 minutes per day. Below we provide some advice for you and then you can make use of them: You can choose to walk to work if you live near your company.
But if you live far from where you work, then you can consider riding a bike.
If you want to take the bus or the subway, you can get off in advance and walk to your company, all of which are feasible. If you don’t have enough time, you can set off several minutes earlier.
- Experts also suggest that commuters can stretch their bodies or take a walk after sitting for about 2 hours to avoid lower extremity edema.
- When commuters are faced with computers, they can also sit up in order not to be hunchbacks.
- People are more likely to have constipation if they develop a habit of sitting for a long time. Thus, we should take in more fresh vegetables and fruit abundant in cellulose. Cellulose in food can’t be absorbed by the intestinal tract, but water in the intestinal tract can be absorbed by cellulose, stimulating the nerves of the intestinal wall and avoiding constipation.
- Commuters often spend much time in watching the computer screen when they are working, which may do harm to their eyes. They are advised to enjoy the scenes far away to relax.
As I have analyzed above, since sitting for a long period of time may do harm to us, why don’t we, who always pursue a healthier life, take actions to say “No” to it? Let’s refuse the sitting-style life and embrace a much healthier and happier life!